April 16, 2016

Not a Peri Peri Chicken in sight - Part 2 - Porto/Oporto --> Lisbon/Lisboa

Porto


So Porto. We have some talking to do. Truth be told I didn’t know fully what to expect from Porto. I'd seen some beautiful pictures and thought it'd be nice to go to. If you judge Porto on a first glance, in the rain, when you're overtired and hungover, you'll be disappointed. You have to look past the dilapidated buildings, endless graffiti to find the charm of a city getting it’s act together to show tourists a nicer side.

Needless to say I came back like a yo yo and day 2 battled on armed with what will be the best 5€ I will ever spend in my life. An umbrella. Mental note for London. Now, there's one thing you'll never catch a Portugese person doing and that is legs day at the gym. That's because every day is legs day when you're walking up consistently high inclines. Luckily I'd made a friend to walk around with, as well as shoot some night photography with. Many a beautiful photo was taken in Porto.


Key highlights: sitting on a random park bench getting wifi then FaceTime-ing people in to see the view • Port tasting with cheese and biscuits • meeting James and exploring the town • tram ride out to Foz • FRANCESHINA (see below) • roast pork rolls at a local dine out • Not speaking Portuguese • walking across the bridge in the howling rain • cable car ride in said howling rain • Taking lots of photos • picturesque views • being wrong about Porto.


This was the morning. After this I went down had a Port, came out of the winery and it was all beautiful. 


Portugese Nonna on the balcony. 


This picture can be a little deceiving, a lot of the buildings behind here are in a state of disrepair. 











This was coming to land in Porto. 


There are some extreme groups that do not want tourism in cities


The only Nandos store in Portugal. Like selling ice to the Eskimos otherwise.  


My Portugal song 
Tiles on the outside of the house, typical of many Portuguese houses. 


The best 5 Euro I've ever spent.


OK SO. You haven't lived until you've had one of these. The ingredients are as follows.
2 Slices of 
toasted bread made into a sandwich containing, sausage, steak, bacon and/or ham, covered in a blanket with cheese, then is put into a swimming pool of tomato puree (more like tomato soup). DELICIOUS. 


James, who will also be in Stockholm with me for Eurovision

Lisbon

So Lisbon will be on my revisit list. I hurt my knee whilst in Porto- the night before I was to leave for Lisbon. Every cloud has a silver lining however and it was the best excuse not to walk around Lisbon. Fun fact, Lisbon is built on 7 hills. This means to go down usually means you need to up down then up then down again. It's one giant rollecoaster on legs. I decided to make the most of this and catch the tourist busses around town. For €20 I was able to get ferried around town and see WAY more than what I would walking. Possibly somewhat disappointingly Lisbon didn't have as much of a feeling to it. It was also the end of my trip so there was a lack of enthusiasm BUT I will visit there again.

Key highlights:

Bus rides saving me walking • not catching a tram because they were full of tourists (I'm from Melbourne, we have trams) • drinking on the street in Bairro Alto, cheese tasting at a market stall... unfinished- more to come :/

Le View




Don't adjust your televisions, they have a bridge like the Golden Gate. Imitation is the highest form of flattery. 


View from my AirBNB


HILLS GODDAMMIT


Well thats it for this trip! If you want to see more photos, view my Facebook. You don't need to sign up to see these photos with this link: 


Click here for Spain

Click here for Portugal  


Next stop STOCKHOLM FOR EUROVISION. Stay tuned... the next blog is going to be about all my food experiences so far... :D






No comments:

Post a Comment