February 6, 2016

First impressions...

So finally, I write!  Let’s just say this has been on hellova week. And it was only 2 and a half days. I have combined more tube in London than there are train tracks in Melbourne.  What has emerged in my first few days here are 2 different Karls.

Karl #1 is:
  •       Trying to find a place to live.  I’m currently in an AirBNB in Brixton with a lovely couple. I just need to find my own… The location of which is dependent on ….
  •       Getting a job. Less than 24 hours in the country I went for an interview at a lovely private school. It would be a longer-term block or work = more money = more stability = less stress about catching the tube (I'm vitamin D deficient already) = having more quality coffee shops to drink from! (the school is in a trendy part of town with lots of coffee shops) 
  •       All this is dependent on meeting with agencies and spending all day crossing town, organising a bank account, not running out of mobile credit, organising an umbrella company for my tax affairs, replying to emails to look at houses … and we are back to the start.


She has a song for everything.
All this has been pretty exhausting. Not to mention doing this all jetlagged. I laughed in the face of jet lag on my first day and it’s slapped me down. The physiological symptoms of jetlag also mimic stress and anxiety so it’s all getting in the way of each other. Everything is manageable only through the power of the Google machine (transport help/maps) and my bestpurchaseever iPhone.  

Karl # 2 though, is emerging as the Karl of the Future. It took me walking around London town last night, killing time, to have the sense of wonder and excitement that I had for London. I found alleyways with cafés, walked through Picadilly Circus, Covent Garden and just touched on the outskirts of Soho. This is wayyyyyy more exciting than trying to organise stuff! I’ve also met up these few days with some of my wonderful friends with plenty more meets to come.  At the moment it is getting all of this organisation set up so I can freely explore the city for leisure. OK. So this is not so bad.




So. We’re getting there. Slowly. I’m looking forward to next writing from a house that is my own. Hopefully. The search continues this weekend!

A sample itinerary - i've been doing this times 2,3,4,5 a day. 


The new love of my life, vintage leather bag I found at a London Retro shop. I look hot. 

I found this last night, when you're in a new country, you rack up more than just one thing a day! 


Sam Smith sightings = 0 
Kylie Minogue sightings = 0



















No comments:

Post a Comment